On Sat. Nov.12th, The Fountainhead Bookstore hosts its first ever Teen Book Bash!
"After Bookapalooza, we had many requests from parents and teens alike, to do something similar for young adults," bookstore owner Valerie Welbourn says, "and thus the Teen Book Bash was born."
A limited number of tickets will be sold in advance, $5 each. No tickets will be sold at the door. "There will be a scavenger hunt, drawings, refreshments, what's new and hot in the book world, publisher giveaways, special sales, and DJ Lisa!" Welbourn reveals.
I asked Val about what's new and hot. Here's what she said:
Here are some great books out now, most just out this month:
* The Apothecary - a mix of fantasy and history, involving, among other things, the aftermath of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki; the Cold War in America and England; and two teens who help an apothecary foil further nuclear testing.
* Darwen Arkwright and the Peregrine Pact - by A.J. Hartley, who is well-known for historical mysteries and fantasies. This is his first Teen book that takes place in Atlanta, Ga. All the typical (and perhaps not-so-typical) problems teens face play out, against the backdrop of a good versus evil adventure in a parallel world.
* Wildwood new out by the members of the band The Decemberists
* Weird and wildly popular, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children.
* My daughter loved An Accidental Band Geek. Avi has a new one out called City of Orphans.
* Big One coming out Nov. 8th is Inheritance Christopher Paolini).
* Another DOWK (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) is coming out Nov. 15th
* Tiger's Voyage comes out November too.
* 3 that have been out awhile, but are awesome discussion books still being talked about are: 13 Reasons Why (about suicide), The Hunger Games trilogy (about war) and Shine (which takes place in the mountains of NC).
There are so many more new ones that either just came out or are about to. I could go on and on.