Affiliated Networks

Forum

The history of Oakley 1 Reply

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History. Last reply by Sheilah Jastrzebski May 16.

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Glenda Council Beall left a comment for Susan Lee Anderson
"It was good seeing you today, Susan. I am glad you are using your writing talent and speaking ability in such a good way. Glenda Beall "
Thursday
City Lights Bookstore posted events
Wednesday
Rob Neufeld posted a discussion

Green Fly Cafe at Transylvania Tannery

Memories of The Green Fly, a tanners’ cafeby Rob Neufeld  PHOTO CAPTION: Workers at the Rosman Tannery hold some of their tools, including an applicator.  Can you help identify the tools and their uses?  Photo courtesy of the Rowell Bosse North Carolina Room, Transylvania County Library.            My…See More
Tuesday

The Risen by Ron Rash

Ron Rash's haunting dream-of-guilt novelA review and an interviewby Rob Neufeld(This article appeared in slightly shorter form, with a different author photo, in the print edition of the Asheville Citizen-Times, Sept. 18, 2016) RON RASH EVENTS: Ron Rash talks about his new novel, “The Risen," at:UNC Asheville’s Humanities…See More
Sep 18

Commonwealth by Ann Patchett

Ann Patchett fosters a fierce little tribeby Rob Neufeld             After hobnobbing with hostage-takers in “Bel Canto” and chewing the bark with Amazonian drug-takers in “State of Wonder,” Ann Patchett has, in her new novel, “Commonwealth” (HarperCollins), planted herself in suburban living rooms.            Despite…See More
Sep 11
Sep 6

Forest Unseen author at Burnsville lit fest

Nobody observes more closely than Burnsville keynoterby Rob Neufeld             One of my favorite science writers—David Haskell—is coming to Burnsville for the Carolina Mountains Literary Festival this weekend.  His book, “The Forest Unseen”—about his minute observation of a square meter of East Tennessee forest…See More
Sep 4
Sep 3
James D. Loy posted a blog post

New podcast

Hi folks:     As you may know, Hendersonville's Ken Butcher regularly posts interviews with NC authors on his website, themiddleoftheair.com.  I was honored recently to do one of these podcasts and some of you might find it interesting.  All the best.See More
Sep 2
Rodney Page posted a discussion

New Novel

THE FOURTH PARTNERSet on Georgia’s Golden Isles, Eccentric homicide detective Leroy Meriwether is drawn into a 25-year-old cold case…and all he wants to do is coast to retirement and restore his ’65 GTO.Presumably consumed by alligators after a boating accident, Billy Howell’s body was never found.  Twenty-five years…See More
Sep 1
Julia Nunnally Duncan updated their profile
Aug 31
Julia Nunnally Duncan posted a photo

A Place That Was Home

Chronicling a Western North Carolina woman's experiences from the 1960s to the present, the twenty-one personal essays in A Place That Was Home vividly depict a regional world in which families lives, work, and worship and others suffer from dire…
Aug 31

Family of Earth by Wilma Dykeman

Wilma Dykeman’s discovered memoir is essentialby Rob Neufeld             Fresh insight into the power and pertinence of the writing of Wilma Dykeman, Southern Appalachia’s preeminent spokesperson, comes to us through her posthumously published memoir, “Family of Earth: A Southern Mountain Childhood” (UNC…See More
Aug 28
William Roy Pipes posted a blog post

The Sinister Smile, A Sequel to A haven for Willa Mae by William Roy Pipes

THE SINISTER SMILE, an adult fiction thriller complete at 63,500 words and featuring William and Willa Mae Lawrence, and Howard Thomas. Howard, the affluent son of a wealthy and influential family, who is suspected of feigning insanity to avoid capital punishment for murdering Willa Mae’s mother plus three others.The novel begins with William and Willa Mae visiting Howard Thomas, a patient who had been in a mental hospital for almost thirteen years. His psychiatrist thought him to be…See More
Aug 27
Aug 20
Lockie Hunter posted events
Aug 18

Memories of old Biltmore Village

Part 1 of 3

by Rob Neufeld

See Part 2, about boys in 1940s

“I’ve generally spent most of my life between the railroad tracks in Biltmore and the Royal Steakhouse in Fletcher,” real estate developer and former Tri-Co Service Station owner Winston Pulliam remarked to Mike Blanton on Blanton’s radio show (“Financially Speaking”).  “And I want to emphasize how blessed I have been.”

During the Great Depression, when he was a boy, Pulliam lived on his grandparents’ 20-acre farm on Fairview Road, working the land.

“I peeled many a peach and pitted many cherries” he told me in a recent interview.

“We had caves on the back of our property,” he recalled. “and hoboes would stay in those caves, coming off the railroad.  They had lard buckets to make coffee in, and I’d take them food over there when I was eight or nine years old.
            His father advised him to take “a bag of something” to neighbors and say, “The lady next door just gave me this (for the hoboes).  What can you give me?”

After Saturday chores, Pulliam, nicknamed “Pullie,” often went to hang out with his friends—Charles Thomas “Tommy” Koontz, Tommy Arakas, and others in the village, even though Oakley boys were discouraged from crossing into that territory.

But boys’ friendships, during the Depression and World War II, crossed boundaries.  Tommy’s family was “as poor as Job’s church mouse,” Tommy said in the recollection session with Pulliam. 

His father, Ralph Koontz, “was a sick man when he was young, He had TB and spent time at the sanitarium in Swannanoa.” He did various jobs. 

“According to my mother,” Tommy said, “we moved every time the rent came due.”

Koontz’s first memory of Biltmore Village was when “Mama” Gray, the landlord of the 7 All Souls Crescent upstairs apartment in which the Koontzes resided, came around yelling out, “Yoo-hoo, do you have anything for me today?”

Another early memory was of the goat man coming into the village with his goat and wagon for family photo ops.  Tommy’s mother, Elizabeth Vance Koontz, found the money for one such occasion in 1938.

The boys were friends with Harold and Ruel Austin, sons of Biltmore Estate’s chief ranger; and had free access to the estate.  “I slept probably 50 times in the Biltmore House,” Pulliam recalled.

Harold and Ruel “had a pet deer they got as a baby, and bottle fed him,” Pulliam recalled.  “His name was Jim…I’m the only person that tried to ride Jim (unsuccessfully).

“Two weeks ago, I called Ruel and asked him, ‘How did Jim die?”  He said, ‘They gave him to Laurence Brown, the sheriff, to put up on his farm.  And Jim wandered into some fellow’s back yard, and this man thought he was a wild deer, and shot him.”

“It was the worst of times and the best of times,” Koontz recited, reflecting on the era that featured poverty and community, an empty belly and a fire in the belly, lightness of heart and darkness of circumstance.

“We had God in our lives,” Pulliam said.

Darkness was what Tommy had experienced off and on for a year when he was six, staying in his bedroom with the windows curtained.

“I failed my first year of school at the Newton Academy up on Biltmore Ave.,” he said, “because I was absent about every other week because  I had every other childhood disease that came along—measles, the mumps, chicken pox, everything but scarlet fever.  I remember that public nurse coming and tacking that yellow sign up on the door: Quarantine.  People couldn’t come to see you.  You couldn’t go out.  You were isolated.”

This was especially hard in a neighborhood in which there was so much social activity—people out on porches, children crossing yards under the care of dozens of surrogate parents, people doing business.

“I knew the names of everybody who lived from West Chapel Road to Biltmore,” Koontz said.

Missing school was tough, too.  It was not only an extension of the social scene, it was a field of dreams.  Koontz would later serve in his life as the long-time principal of T.C. Roberson High School.  This past January, the new Intermediate School on Overlook Rd. was named after him.

“I was in the sixth grade with Dewey Callaway,” Pulliam related, “and the teacher asked us, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up.  Dewey put down, ‘I want to own the Biltmore Shoe Shop’ (owned by L.A. Spake, who’d employ Dewey).  He stayed 28 years in the Army, came back home, and bought that shoe shop.”

Many kids went to work at an early age, often in jobs that served the community.

“I was hopping curb at the Hot Shot (Café) when I was 12,” Pulliam recalled.  “They had the hot dogs, hamburgers, roast beef, roast pork, cheeseburgers, barbecue, combination, ham, spam, ram, lamb, bull, beef, and bear,” he chanted.

Pullie’s dream as a kid was to own a service station; and he accomplished that, first an Esso on Coxe Ave., then the Tri-Co on Brook St. in Biltmore Village.

Tri-Co became the gathering place in the post-World War II years, as Pulliam worked from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., and entertained as well as served customers.  “We had printed on our charge tickets,” he told Blanton, “We fix everything but broken hearts, and we work on them.”

PHOTO CAPTION

Richard Koontz, age 4, and Tommy Koontz, age 6, pose in the goat man’s wagon in Biltmore Village, 1938.  Photo courtesy Tommy Koontz.

Views: 297

Reply to This

© 2016   Created by Rob Neufeld.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service