Affiliated Networks

Forum

The German experience settling WNC 1 Reply

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History. Last reply by Scott Dockery Feb 16.

The history of Oakley

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History May 13, 2016.

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Connie Regan-Blake posted events
20 hours ago
Mirra updated an event
Thumbnail

Dada Maheshvarananda Launches Cooperative Games book at Malaprops Bookstore

May 27, 2017 from 7pm to 8:30pm
With a Foreword by noted author and activist, Bill Ayers, Cooperative Games for a Cooperative World by Dada Maheshvarananda, shows up how to work together to create unity, trust, and cooperation in making the small and big changes needed to create the world we want to see.Listen to this recent radio interview with Dada:https://drive.google.com/openDiane Donovan of Midwest Books says of…See More
Saturday
Mirra posted an event

Dada Maheshvarananda Launches Cooperative Games book at Malaprops Bookstore

May 27, 2017 from 7pm to 8:30pm
With a Foreword by noted author and activist, Bill Ayers, Cooperative Games for a Cooperative World by Dada Maheshvarananda, shows up how to work together to create unity, trust, and cooperation in making the small and big changes needed to create the world we want to see.Listen to this recent radio interview with Dada:https://drive.google.com/openDiane Donovan of Midwest Books says of…See More
May 16
City Lights Bookstore posted an event
Thumbnail

Rosalind Bunn Storytime at City Lights Bookstore

June 24, 2017 from 11am to 12pm
Rosalind Bunn will return to City Lights Bookstore on Saturday, June 24th at 11 a.m. for a special storytime. Rosalind teaches at East Side Elementary in Marietta, Georgia. She has three grown children and a new grandson. Rosalind has co-authored three children's books with a dear friend, Kathleen Howard. Her newest book, Thunder & a Lightning Bug Named Lou, is illustrated by Angela C. Hawkins and was released in December 2016. Her other titles are Whose Shadow Do I See?, The Monsters…See More
May 13
Short-short Stories & Riddles posted a blog post

I Have a Coin

I Have a Coin I have a coin I deem a treasure.One side bears the sign of extinction,And the other, an instance of nature.But it’s not a coin; it’s a seal,And the meaning of this distinctionIs the unbearable sadness I feelWith experience, or with closure. It seems like a double exposure,But the knowledge of impermanenceBleeds into the ideal likenessOf mortality in its eminence—To yield a vibrant pictureOf a creature’s essential brightnessAs it burns for life without censure. --Rob NeufeldSee More
May 12
City Lights Bookstore posted events
May 11
Gary Thomas Johnson is attending Kalen Vaughan Johnson's event
Thumbnail

Kalen Vaughan Johnson debuts ROBBING THE PILLARS at Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe

May 20, 2017 from 7pm to 8:30pm
This signing event for my debut novel ROBBING THE PILLARS will also serve as a benefit for longtime family friend and WNC advocate for people with disabilitiesSee More
May 10
Gary Thomas Johnson shared Kalen Vaughan Johnson's event on Facebook
May 10
Kalen Vaughan Johnson posted an event
Thumbnail

Kalen Vaughan Johnson debuts ROBBING THE PILLARS at Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe

May 20, 2017 from 7pm to 8:30pm
This signing event for my debut novel ROBBING THE PILLARS will also serve as a benefit for longtime family friend and WNC advocate for people with disabilitiesSee More
May 10
Mark de Castrique posted a blog post

Hidden Scars - Sam Blackman and Black Mountain College

I don't know if this is true for my fellow writers, but proofing can be the most difficult part of the process.  I received the ARC today for October's Sam Blackman Mystery and will begin the last review for typos or formatting errors that have eluded my editor, my copy editor, and myself.  Amazing that there is always something that the brain "fixes" and we don't see.Hope springs eternal that the October release will be typo-free.  The mystery is set against the historic backdrop of Black…See More
May 6
Rob Neufeld posted a blog post

How to make a monument Waynesville style

For a monument in a parking lotHow might an artist portray a Plott?The Forga family owns the only downtown parking lot in Hazelwood and wants a statue of a Plott Hound, the N.C. State Dog, put at its center in honor of the late Robert Forga and his wife, Viola.   The family engaged the Waynesville Public Art Commission to find an artist, and now the decision’s down to three There’s a N.C. Highway Historical Marker about the Plott Hound at Hazelwood Elementary School in Waynesville.  The dog’s…See More
May 5
Julia Nunnally Duncan posted an event

Julia Nunnally Duncan at MACA Gift Shop

May 6, 2017 from 9am to 11:30am
Julia Nunnally Duncan will sign her latest books "A Part of Me" and "A Place That Was Home" on Saturday, May 6, from 9-11:30 at the MACA gift shop in downtown Marion.See More
May 3
Short-short Stories & Riddles shared their blog post on Facebook
May 2

Another riddle, since you liked the first so much

Another riddle, since you liked the first so much Mickey MantlePete HillRocky ColavitoDusty BakerCurt FloodMickey RiversCory Snyder List of baseball outfielders with names that have to do with layers of the earth, in order of sports greatness.See other posts at http://thereadonwnc.ning.com/profile/ShortshortStoriesRiddlesSee More
May 2

A riddle

Tying shoelaces,Lifting a mug by its handle,Lifting something that requires all fingers,Pressing down hard while writing,Shaking hands:Things hindered by a bruised forefinger. I would have had more things to record, but unfortunately my finger healed too quickly.See other posts at http://thereadonwnc.ning.com/profile/ShortshortStoriesRiddlesSee More
Apr 30
Dr. Lin Stepp posted an event

Dr. Lin Stepp at Barnes & Noble, Asheville Mall at Tunnel Road

May 13, 2017 from 2pm to 4pm
Lin Stepp will sign her latest Smoky Mtn novel DADDY'S GIRL set in NCSee More
Apr 27

Interview with Ron Rash on occasion of 2016 Selected & New Poems

Something unseen stirs the words in Ron Rash poems

by Rob Neufeld

Ron Rash, award-winning novelist and short story writer, is also an acclaimed and accomplished poet.  His new book, “Poems: New and Selected” (HarperCollins) draws from six volumes and adds eight new poems.  He comes to Malaprop’s Bookstore/Café, 5 p.m., Sun., Apr. 17, to present his book and to introduce Robert Morgan, who presents his new novel, “Chasing the North Star.”

Interview with Ron Rash, April 9, 2016, on occasion of publication of Poems: New and Selected

RN:  Are you about to hit the road again?

RR:  I had a couple of weeks off, and next week, I’m going to be traveling again.  I’ve had a very productive last couple of months.  I’ve written four stories.

RN:  Oh, wonderful!

RR:  That’s a lot for me.

RN:  I love these collections that are coming out—the stories and now the poems.  Do you feel that when you create a book of selections or move into new territory that you are creating a unified body of work?

RR:  To me, it’s like a quilt.  Even though they’re separate patches, they’re part of one large canvas...I’ve got a novel coming out in September—I’ve got some big patches—but I’ve got some smaller ones I’ve got to fill in.

RN:  What kinds of subjects are those?

RR:  I’ve got one new story that I think is important...It’s something I’ve always been fascinated with.  It deals with cave art.

RN:  It deals with what—K-Mart?

RR:  No, cave art in France.  A soldier comes back from World War II and starts recreating it in his own house.

RN:  Okay, good!

RR:  That’s something I’ve always been fascinated with, caves, and also going into that deep, deep Jungian myth area.

RN:  Oh, this is great.  There is a poem in this collection in which you go into a cave in this region and have this strong desire to see cave art—the poem, “Passage.”

RR:  I had seen (photos of cave art) in “Life” magazine and I had this weird imagining of it being there in that cave.  And in “Above the Waterfall,” Becky talks about it because it goes back to the beginning of art.  I’ve worked it into a novel and a poem, and now it’s coming into a short story.  You’re looking at it from different angles, trying to make it resonate in different ways, but also, in a sense, interconnecting it with the other work.

RN:  That’s interesting having a World War II soldier involved.

RR:  He’d been in France and had gone into one of the caves.  Forty thousand years ago, you had incredibly sophisticated art.  Look at the cave art in Lascaux and Pech Merle, it’s stunning.

RN:  What are the thoughts and feelings you get from that ancient way of life?

RR:  There are very few human figures in the cave art.  It’s that incredible moment in human history when the connection with nature was so great that the animals dominate.  In “Above the Waterfall,” what Becky wants—and something I want as someone who cares about environmental issues—is to reconnect on that kind of level. 

RN:  I think it would be fun to talk a little about craft.  When you write a poem, I imagine you are trying to do a few different things.

RR:  To me, the essential question for a poem is, if I made this into a paragraph, would anything be lost. 

RN:  Let’s look at “In the Springhouse at Night.”

RR:  Well, let’s look at the fourth line: “Cabbage and beets, beans and sweet corn.”  These are all seven or eight-syllable-lines.  You have the hard “c” of “cabbage,” and the line ends with “corn.”  In the middle, you have “beets” and “beans” centering that line, same sound; and then you add “sweet” to it.  Everything is echoed in that line.

RN:  Sound is extremely important to you.

RR:  Oh yeah.  To me a poem is a net for catching sounds. 

RN:  There’s almost something incantatory.

RR:  Yeah, I want it to feel like an incantation.  That’s why poetry has traditionally been connected so much to religion.  It’s a way of saying things that goes beyond the mere conveying of information...It’s like music.  There’s something else that is being conveyed just in the sounds... One thing I love about poetry is it demands attentiveness.  The way poetry is often taught, it’s like they’re dissecting frogs.  The first thing it should do is give pleasure.  Part of that pleasure is the sound.  Sometimes when I read my poems—I’ll read a poem like that, and I’ll say, the emphasis in that poem is from a Welsh form 1,500 years old, and it’s syllabic, and each line has some kind of internal (rhyming)...and, I’ll say, if you noticed that, I failed.

RN:  I was going to ask you about the Welsh form.

RR:  That’s the center of what I’m doing, cynghanedd; it simply means chiming.  The Welsh had very particular forms. 

RN:  I notice that there are certain kinds of sounds you do use, and others that you don’t.

RR:  Yeah.

RN:  And then I notice some sounds that you’re newly developing.  One of your new poems, “The Country Singer,” the first two lines and the last two lines, hey, you’ve got a country song going there.

RR:  Yeah, I had Lucinda Williams in mind.

RN:  Is that kind of lyrical sound going to be entering more of your stuff?  Are you playing with that?

RR:  It may.  As you can tell, I haven’t written a lot of poems lately because I’ve been writing prose, but you don’t want to do the same thing over and over.  That was the poem in that group that I felt was doing something new.  Different poems demand different emphases as far as how to create them.  In “Eureka Mill,” I wanted to give the sense of their (the mill workers’) work and the rhythm of the mill. I used a longer line and a more cadenced iambic line because it’s a reflection of how the mill dominated that world.  The machines affected the rhythm of their thoughts.

RN:  When you write a poem, is it very early on that you try to figure out what kind of a sound the poem is going to have?

RR:  The poem reveals the sounds.  I start with an image, but then, I start playing with the sounds.  I start looking at the lines.  What can I do to load this poem up as much as I can with sound and sense, and  to get the most out of each syllable.

RN:  Let’s look at the poem, “The Call,” one of your new poems, which has a bunch of spondees in it.  You have: “When the old man’s last breath left.”  How did this poem evolve?

RR:  It started with an image of dogs howling, and is based on something someone I knew told me about his grandfather.  The dogs knew even miles away that he was dying.

RN:  How long ago had you heard this story?

RR:  I guess maybe 20 years ago.

RN:   Where were you when you decided to resurrect this?

RR:  Oh, it was like 15 years later.  One day, I was thinking about that image of those dogs out there in the dark, and it struck me.  Spondees, I think, worked in that line.  It slowed the line down, and it made the emphasis of what was happening.

RN:  You begin that poem: “That afternoon as last light drained.”  Did that line come automatically as the first line?

RR:  I think so.  Then, of course, you have “last light,” “last breath” playing.  

RN:  I’m trying to picture you in the process of coming up with words. 

RR:  To me, it’s fun.  Working on poems is fun.  Writing fiction is not always; it’s sometimes more like mule work.  The part that I love about fiction is when I get to the end, when I’ve pretty much done all I can, and my last drafts are all about sound.  It’s about vowels and sounds rubbing up against each other; it’s about what syllables are stressed and unstressed.

RN:  Do you have an example of one of the sound changes you made in one of your novels?

RR:  This new novel, I had two hard “d” sounds in a row, and I knew that that was a kind of an ugly repetition.  So I changed the first word that started with a hard “d” with a nicer sounding “n.”  Sometimes, as with a spondee, you want that—like Auden writing about Yeats, “The day of his death was a dark cold day.”  But I didn’t want that in this because it was a more peaceful moment.  It was about darkness coming into a neighborhood.  To have two hard sounds starting off the sentence about that would not work.

RN:  What was the “d” sound that you changed?

RR:  Maybe (I was writing about how) “dark dims,” and I changed it to “night dims.” 

RN:  Some of your poems are story poems.  “Eureka Mill” connects different story-poems in a book.  Is there any way to link story poems so that a book of them becomes a story in itself, with an arc?

RR:  One of the tough things about doing the selected poems is that I want my books to do that very thing.  It’s most obvious in “Eureka Mill,” but “Raising the Dead” starts off with those graves and those people being moved out of that valley; and then it arcs into the more personal, about the death of my first cousin in a car wreck when I was a teenager; and then it comes out into that world of the lake.  To me, it’s almost as if you’re going into that lake in that book... “Raising the Dead” is very structured, and you don’t get that when you’re reading the selected poems because I couldn’t put them all in there.

RN:  So what did you try to do with the selected poems?

RR:  All my books of poetry had been published by small presses, and I love those presses.  This was a chance for people who didn’t know my work to pay a little bit more attention to it because (the publisher) is HarperCollins.

RN:  It’s nice when you’re a poet like Ron Rash to have connections with a famous novelist, like Ron Rash.

RR:  You know, the only way to get it published was I had my agent tell HarperCollins, if you’ll publish the poems, I’ll give you the (new) novel, too.  So, we did a two-book deal. 

RN:  I hope the novel sells great, but what if the poems sold more than the novel?

RR:  That would be a great thing.  You can’t imagine how happy I would be for poetry because I love poetry.  It’s the wellspring.  I tell my fiction students, “You may not ever write a poem in your life, though I think you should try, but if you’re not reading poetry, you’re going to hurt your fiction.”  Every good novelist and short story writer I know reads a lot of poetry.

RN:  Your story poems have an exciting flow.  With “Bloodroot,” the first eight lines are plant descriptions, and then you realize you’re following someone who’s looking for snakes, and then you realize this guy is a drinker and a snake-seller, and then he ends up attending to a church service, having to still the rattling in his heart.  I think, “Wow!  That poem took me all kinds of places.”

RR:  Yeah, I wanted you to feel the pleasure you get out of a story. 

RN:  Is it difficult to fit your poetry-making craft into a story?

RR:  That, to me, is the challenge.  You can do both... Several times, I’d write a poem, and I’d go from there to a short story or a novel.  Actually, “One Foot in Eden” began with an eight-line poem.  (Another time) I had a short story, and I realized it wasn’t going to work.  I started tampering with it and realized it would work as a poem, but not as a story. 

RN:  Is there a yearning in your work for life being visionary?  Why aren’t we living life like the cave painters.

RR:  We dominate the world so much, there’s no way we could.  I certainly don’t see the world that way all the time, but I have those moments...I (once) had the most amazing moment.  I wrote about it in “Saints at the River.”  Twenty years ago, I was trout fishing on a tributary of the Chattooga River.  It had been foggy and raining, and it was the fall.  I was in a grove of poplar trees.  They were on both banks, about 20 of them. I was there and the sun broke through, and it was like the world was shimmering—those trees and that light coming through...It was almost like the world was charged...And man!  I felt I was in the midst of the sublime.

Q:  The first poem in “Waking”—it’s a beautiful poem.  You know what I’m talking about, right?

A:  Yeah, “My First Memory.”

RN:  “Dragonflies dip, rise.  Their backs/ catch light, purple like church glass.”  And then, later on, “tadpoles flow like black tears.”  Don’t you just love that line?

RR:  I’m pretty proud of that. (both laugh)  I’m not going to lie.

RN:  Do you remember writing that line?

RR:  Yeah.  I felt that it was true to the way a kid would see it...The ultimate hope is that a reader would never be able to see a tadpole again and not think of that

RN: You’ve got the sound working real well, too.  The tadpoles flowing, the long o sounds...

RR:  And they go into the next line, “Minnows lengthen their shadows.”

RN:  And then that wonderful last line” “Something unseen stirs the weeds.”

RR:  That last line, I’d say, sums up the whole experience of what I’m trying to do in my work, that sense of mystery.  Even as a kid, I felt there was more in the world than I was seeing.  Francis Bacon said it, the role of the artist is to deepen the mystery, whether it’s in human motivation—those moments where a character does something unexpected, suddenly revealing what was unseen before—or in nature.  There’s always something transcendent just out beyond our eyes.

RN:  Do you find that Bible imagery feeds your imagination?

A:  I read the Bible growing up.  I think it’s a great gift for a writer, particularly the King James...It’s funny.  My daddy paid me $5 to read the New Testament...I think I was 12.

Q:  And how did you feel about that?

A:  Well, I wanted the five dollars.  (laughs)

Q:  What were you going to do with that five dollars.

A:  Probably buy some fishing equipment, I suspect.  Funny, I’d forgotten about that.  He was going to pay me $10 to read the Old Testament, and I just figured that wasn’t worth it after I realized how big it was. 

Q:  That’s hysterical.  This is actually a theme.  In the poem, “Bloodroot,” this guy was meant to learn the Word, but instead learned the world.  And then there’s the poem, “August 1959: Morning Service,” in which a boy looks out a window of the church and follows the ringing of a cowbell, in his mind, to a spring pool where salamanders swirl.  And here, your father gives you money to read the Bible and you want the money to go fishing.

A:  (laughs)

Q:  Hey, there’s a poem in here, Ron.  How would that poem start?

A:  Oh, wow.  Something like, “late night, black as a Bible.”  I don’t know, something unfolding.  I remember those pages were so thin, you had to lick your finger every time you had to turn the page. 

Q:  How would you work the $5 offer into the poem?

A:  I don’t even know if I could write that poem for whatever reason.  One thing I was thinking right away, it would have to be late at night.  The child would have to be alone, in bed maybe, and there’d be a soft light coming over the page, and the feel of that page, almost silky.

Q:  Would you have the kid in the poem go to a particular part of the Bible?

A:  Possibly.  I’d have to get the first words down and let the poem lead me.  It might even end up that I didn’t mention the five dollars.  I never go in with a set idea that a poem’s going to do this or that.  I don’t do that in fiction, either.

Q:  Would the poem have to get him fishing somehow?

A:  It might, it might not.  I have to let the poem surprise me.  The rhythms, the sound will have a lot to do with where the poem goes. I don’t understand why an image comes to me, or a line.  I don’t know why a story reveals itself.  I just want it to happen.

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A wonderful discussion on craft, Rob!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rob Neufeld.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service