Affiliated Networks

Forum

Dave Minneman, heroic portrait

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Aug 25.

East Asheville history and sites

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Feb 27.

The German experience settling WNC 1 Reply

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History. Last reply by Scott Dockery Feb 16.

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

HISTORIC PHOTO

Hunters and Plott hounds, 1942

During bear-hunting season in 1942, the Asheville Citizen-Times celebrated the Plott hound, now the state dog, being loaded up here in a file photo.  Writer Jack Ruffing and photographer Frank Clodfelter joined the Hazel Creek Club on an outing to a private reserve in the Great Smoky Mountains.  “The Plott hounds originated in Haywood County the latter part of the 18th century,” Ruffing wrote.  “Later they were mixed with the German Bleven hound, a cur dog, of Graham County, and now they are the outstanding fighters and scenters obtainable.”  About the Plott’s breeding, “we do know for sure,” Bob Plott writes in “Strike and Stay” (History Press), “that Johannes and Enoch Plott, with five prized hounds, left their home (in the Black Forest, Germany) and journeyed up the Rhine River to Rotterdam, Holland, around July 1750.”  Johannes made it to present-day Cabarrus County.  His son, Henry, took over the dog business and moved to the Pigeon River.  Mark Cathey, Ruffing’s guide, told stories of legendary hunts, including about Lt. George Plott, whose hounds treed a bear, but then the bear chased George up a tree after being pelted by him with snowballs.  George Plott would rise to captain in the 262d Infantry Regiment and be killed in action on Christmas Day, 1944, on the SS Leopoldville, sunk by a German torpedo.

--Rob Neufeld, RNeufeld@charter.net

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this Rob--and the book plug too. I have never seen this photo before. I have several others from the 1942 article, but this was a new one. The man on the truck looking down is WWII hero Little George Plott--who I profiled in my third book. His Uncle, Big George Plott is standing on the left. Could you email me a copy of this photo to bob@bobplott.com? Also, you might be interested that I just finished my 5th book and in it, there is a long profile of the Hazel Creek club, how it came about, the guides there and their dogs. Thanks again!!!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rob Neufeld.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service