Affiliated Networks

Forum

Interview with Gail Godwin about Grief Cottage

Started by Rob Neufeld in AC-T Book Reviews Aug 3, 2017.

Ellington in Asheville--a survey

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Oct 6, 2017.

Dave Minneman, heroic portrait

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Aug 25, 2017.

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Rob Neufeld posted a discussion

The Tale of Ononis

The Tale of Ononis by Rob Neufeld Part 1: The Making of a Celebrity ❧  Hare Begins His Tale  Ononis was my region’s name.People now call it Never-the-same.I’ll start with the day a delivery came. The package I got was a devil’s dare,Swaddled and knotted in Swamp Bloat hairAnd bearing, in red, one word: “Beware!” Bloats are creatures from the Land of Mud Pies,Wallowing in waste with tightly closed eyesUntil fears bring tears and the bleary bloats rise.   ❧  Hare’s Colleagues  I asked my boss,…See More
Friday
Connie Regan-Blake posted an event

Drop Your Troubles: A Solo Storytelling Performance with Connie Regan-Blake at Black Mountain Center for the Arts

December 1, 2018 from 7:30pm to 9pm
Join this internationally renowned storyteller, Connie Regan-Blake, as she transforms a packed theater into an intimate circle of friends with old-timey charm, wisdom, and humor. We’ll also welcome the Singer of  Stories, Donna Marie Todd, who will perform her original story, “The Amazing Zicafoose Sisters.” Connie’s last two shows at BMCA have sold…See More
Nov 6
Connie Regan-Blake updated an event
Thumbnail

Explore the Landscapes of Story and Telling at Lenoir-Rhyne Center for Graduate Studies

January 23, 2019 at 10am to February 27, 2019 at 12pm
A Storytelling Offering in Asheville, NCWednesday Mornings 10am-12pmJanuary 23 – February 27, 2019 This winter Connie is excited to offer a learning opportunity to warm-up your storytelling voice and creativity!  Join her in Asheville, NC at Lenoir-Rhyne University for six story-work sessions with a weekly format that allows for skills to grow over time while encouraging a consistency in discovering, revisiting and refining your stories. During these weekly sessions participants are invited…See More
Nov 6
Connie Regan-Blake posted an event
Thumbnail

Explore the Landscapes of Story & Telling at Lenoir-Rhyne Center for Graduate Studies

January 23, 2019 at 10am to February 27, 2019 at 12pm
A Storytelling Offering in Asheville, NCWednesday Mornings 10am-12pmJanuary 23 – February 27, 2019 This winter Connie is excited to offer a learning opportunity to warm-up your storytelling voice and creativity!  Join her in Asheville, NC at Lenoir-Rhyne University for six story-work sessions with a weekly format that allows for skills to grow over time while encouraging a consistency in discovering, revisiting and refining your stories. During these weekly sessions participants are invited…See More
Oct 28
Thumbnail

Connie Regan-Blake presents A Slice of Life: An Evening of Stories at Black Mountain Center for the Arts

April 6, 2019 from 7:30pm to 9pm
Join nationally celebrated storyteller, Connie Regan-Blake, as she hosts her workshop participants in an enchanting evening of storytelling in “A Slice of Life: An Evening of Stories.” The event will be hosted by the Black Mountain Center for the Arts, just a short drive from Asheville nestled in the picturesque mountains surrounding the area. Call the Center for advance tickets (828) 669-0930 or order…See More
Oct 28
Thumbnail

Connie Regan-Blake's Taking Your Story to the Stage Workshop at StoryWindow Productions

April 5, 2019 to April 7, 2019
The focus of this “Taking Your Story to the Stage” 3-day workshop is on storytelling performance. Each participant is asked to come with a story that is almost “stage-ready.” Set in Connie’s home tucked in the beautiful mountains surrounding Asheville, NC, this workshop provides a supportive, affirming…See More
Oct 28

Let’s say every word is precious

Let’s say every word is precious (Part of Living Poem) Let’s say every word is precious.Say every word is precious.Every word is precious.Every word precious.Every word.Word.--Rob Neufeld, Oct. 16, 2018See More
Oct 17
Rob Neufeld posted discussions
Oct 12
Nancy Sutton replied to Rob Neufeld's discussion Metamorphoses
"Poignant in so many ways!   "
Oct 3

Metamorphoses

Metamorphoses (Part of Living Poem)Hear audio: Metamorphoses%20181004_0192.MP3 So Apollo committed the first rape.He’d come back from exterminating Python,The Bane of Humanity, now his arrow-victim,And stopped to mock…See More
Oct 2
Joan Henehan replied to Joan Henehan's discussion on Reading Living Poem
"Fantastic, that will be very helpful."
Sep 22

First Drumbeat

First Drumbeat(Part of Living Poem) The time has come.Call it a drum,Or a crumb,What’s left of life. I used to tell a jokeWhen my life was wide,And I was a stud,And not a dud—I knowI’m not a dud.  I’m a dude,A dad.  But everyone mustRebut the dud chargeAt summing up time. Oh yeah, the joke,A trademark one for meIn that it’s not funny. I used to say I’ll never retireFrom writingBecause if I’m ever…See More
Sep 22
Rob Neufeld replied to Joan Henehan's discussion on Reading Living Poem
"Thanks for the prompt, Joan!  I have attached the whole work in progress as a doc at the bottom of the table of contents page: http://thereadonwnc.ning.com/special/living-poem"
Sep 22
Joan Henehan replied to Joan Henehan's discussion on Reading Living Poem
"Is there a way from this website to print everything or might you send me such a document to bayjh@icloud.com?"
Sep 22
Julia Nunnally Duncan posted an event
Thumbnail

Julia Nunnally Duncan at Marion Branch McDowell County Public Library

October 24, 2018 from 4pm to 5pm
Julia Nunnally Duncan will be launching her new poetry collection A Neighborhood Changes (Finishing Line Press, 2018) at a book presentation and signing to be held at the McDowell County Public Library in Marion on October 24.See More
Sep 21
Rob Neufeld replied to Joan Henehan's discussion on Reading Living Poem
"This could be interesting--thanks!  I'm at 828-505-1973 (my home business office).  And RNeufeld@charter.net."
Sep 20

After 25 years, these nature stories still percolate

by Rob Neufeld, Dec. 2017

PHOTO CAPTION: Bob Gale and Ashby Gale in an old-growth oak forest on Fire Gap Ridge in Nantahala National Forest. Photo by Josh Kelly of MountainTrue.

One of my New Year’s activities was filing.  I had a box of unfiled clippings and papers from the early 1990s.  Sorting them has led to this distillation of our region’s relationship with nature.

Next week, “Visiting Our Past” returns to Bent Creek, completing a three-part, biweekly series with the Vanderbilt and Pisgah Forest years.

Bogs

In 1994, the Associated Press zoomed in on a three-acre site in Henderson County because it was a rare survival—an Appalachian bog.  Another one in Henderson County, the reporter noted, had been drained and developed as a business site.

“People once came from miles around to see the orchids flower like snow in July,” the reporter rhapsodized about the lost bog.

Mountain bogs “are among the rarest natural communities in the Southern Appalachians and in

North Carolina,” a 2015 N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission report states.  “Unlike northern bogs of glacial origin, Southern Appalachian bogs form in

poorly drained depressions” that are “not subject to flooding.”

They’re spongy, acidic mats often found at the heads of streams.  They purify water, control floods, and support a unique ecosystem that includes sphagnum moss, carnivorous pitcher plants, tiny bog turtles and other wonders.

The pitcher plant’s special niche is getting nutrients from acid muck.  It lures insects to the bottom of its barrel, and brews them like a French press. 

“Carcasses in the bottom half of a pitcher are often packed as tightly as tobacco in a cigarette paper,” Jennifer Frick-Ruppert writes in her book, “Mountain Nature.”

Bog turtles—the four-inch-long carapace-wearers with Clemson-orange necks—are trying to survive under a protective law, but they’re still “a prized species in many animal black markets,” the Endangered Species Coalition remarks.

The good news is that bog turtles can be bred in captivity; and that the steep decline in bogs has been arrested and even reversed a bit.

In 2006, the Nature Conservancy began restoring the 15-acre McClure’s Bog in Etowah, Nathaniel Axtell reported in a Hendersonville “Times-News” article.  “Its exact location is a closely guarded secret because it harbors … three species listed under the federal Endangered Species Act: swamp pink, mountain sweet pitcher plant and the bog turtle.”

In 2015, the Nature Conservancy helped create the Mountain Bogs National Wildlife Refuge in Ashe County.  Its 39 acres “may eventually grow to 23,000 acres, depending on the willingness of landowners to sell,” the National Forest Service reports.

This issue has literally come home for me because I have a one-tenth-acre mountain bog in my backyard.  It doesn’t have sphagnum moss or bog turtles, but it’s at the head of a creek, is always wet and never flooded, and is undisturbed by lawnmowers and other irritants. 

We’re thinking of planting a buffer of appropriate shrubs around it.

For more information about Mountain Bogs Refuge, visit www.fws.gov/mountainbogs

Beavers

You may remember the day the beavers came back.  It had been August 16, 1993, according to a Citizen-Times article by Deanna Murray.

Park biologist Bambi Teague at the Julian Price Memorial Park had sounded the alarm.

“We’ve had some visitors complain about trails being muddy,” she’d said.  And the beavers “could cause some trails to fall in.”

Moses Cone Estate, on the Parkway near Boone, and Blowing Rock Memorial Park were also being threatened by the beaver’s way.

Teague sided with the beavers, who bring back an earlier native environment, though bogs get flooded and old trees chewed.

Old trees

In January 1995, WNC Alliance, now part of MountainTrue, presented a list of 98 “older forest sites” in the Pisgah National Forest for the Forest Service to protect from logging.

Just the previous year, the Forest Service had amended the first plan, a 1987 political hash, in order to reasonably save old forests, of which this region has an impressive legion, though they’re mostly wind-twisted or inaccessibly distant.

Today MountainTrue is participating in another rewrite, recommending that the Forest Service “require their staff to identify old growth forests when they’re designing timber sales and put them at the bottom of the priority lists,” Josh Kelly, MountainTrue’s Public Lands Biologist, says.

Theory became practice in April 2016 when MountainTrue notified the Forest Service that its Mossy Oak timber sale in Jackson County included one “unit,” or tract, that contained an oak forest older than Daniel Boone.  It was saved.

No rest for the weary, though.  Insects seem to have their own agendas, including the now infamous hemlock woolly adelgid; and the emerald ash borer, carried by out-of-state campers in firewood.

And, as of this moment, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed and sent to the Senate the Resilient Federal Forests Act of 2017, introduced by Bruce Westerman (R-AR) with bi-partisan support.  It intends to speed up and increase “forestry management” and remove fire hazards by easing protections against cutting and limiting litigation and public comment.

Visit mountaintrue.org.

Urban trees

In 1993, an Asheville couple wrote a letter to the editor of the Citizen-Times about a chainsaw massacre on Murdock Ave.

Their backyard neighbor had built apartment buildings and “cut down virtually every tree on her side of the property line regardless of the condition of the tree,” they said.  They wanted an enforceable tree ordinance.

Ashevillians love their trees.  Just look at Google Earth maps, or drive around.

I have a dead willow in my yard that attracts roving tree-cutters who offer to help me neutralize the threat.  Regretfully, I tell them, “We’re saving it for the woodpeckers.”

Red wolves

Dogs, hogs, coyotes, deer, bear and mussels all made noise in the waning decade of the 20th century.  Red wolves sang a twilight howl.

They were numerous in this region in the 18th and 19th century.  In 1990, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Commission reported, there were only “135 red wolves in existence—115 in various captive facilities and 20 in the wild.”

“By the late 1960s,” Bob Satterwhite wrote in an Oct. 15, 1995 column, “only a small population of disease and parasite ridden animals remained, holed up in the marshes and bogs on the Louisiana and Texas border.”

Because these red wolves had begun, out of desperation, breeding with coyotes, the government captured 400, identified 17 purebreds and introduced them to the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge in Dare County.

On Jan. 30, 1991, two mated pairs of red wolves were released in Cades Cove.  They and their offspring struggled to survive amid threats from coyotes, parvovirus and humans. 

In 1994, the N.C. State Assembly passed a law that permitted anyone to shoot a red wolf deemed “a nuisance.”  “It’s just another damn dog, as far as I’m concerned,” Rep. John Brown of Wilkes County had stated.

“Dog” was the least damaging of the epithets pinned on the red wolf.  Anti-wolf campaigners have included scientists Robert Wayne and John Gittleman who, in a July 1995 issue of “Scientific American,” determined that the red wolf was a coyote-gray wolf mutt.

Satterwhite called such claims “untruths and distortions.”  There had been, he argued, a long-ago gray wolf ancestor that is now extinct.  As to the red wolf’s scariness, not one has ever attacked a human.  They’re shy.

In 1998, the Federal government snuffed the red wolf’s seven-year niche, defunded the Great Smokies reintroduction effort, and captured and deported survivors.

Yet, the WNC Nature Center has stepped up, breeding the red wolf in pens.  On May 9, 2012, four pups were born and later transferred to the main exhibit area.

Views: 35

Reply to This

© 2018   Created by Rob Neufeld.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

UA-124288772-1