Affiliated Networks

Forum

Interview with Gail Godwin about Grief Cottage

Started by Rob Neufeld in AC-T Book Reviews Aug 3, 2017.

Ellington in Asheville--a survey

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Oct 6, 2017.

Dave Minneman, heroic portrait

Started by Rob Neufeld in Local History Aug 25, 2017.

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Susan True shared Rob Neufeld's discussion on Facebook
Sep 24
Susan True replied to Rob Neufeld's discussion Act 5, Scene 1: Irene's Twilight Zone
"Soulfully beautiful."
Sep 24
Rob Neufeld posted a discussion

Act 5, Scene 1: Irene's Twilight Zone

Act 5, Scene 1: Irene’s Twilight Zone See whole poem, "The Main Show," and index of scenes.  (Spotlight opens on the lobby of the theater.  Characters who remain in the lobby enter the theater, which remains dark.  Joan the nurse tells the tour guide to also go in, and the narrator hangs back awhile.) Joan: Go ahead in. I’ll stay with my patient.Anyway, this is a family…See More
Sep 24
Phillip Elliott shared their photo on Facebook
Sep 5
Connie Regan-Blake posted events
Aug 28
Julia Nunnally Duncan posted an event

Julia Nunnally Duncan at Little Switzerland Books and Beans

August 30, 2019 from 3pm to 6pm
Julia Nunnally Duncan will be a featured author at Little Switzerland Books and Beans on Friday, August 30, from 3-5. A book signing will follow. Julia will read from her latest books A Neighborhood Changes, A Part of Me, and A Place That Was Home.See More
Aug 26
Phillip Elliott commented on Phillip Elliott's album
Thumbnail

Guide to Antebellum Flat Rock

"The introduction of my new publication, Guide to Antebellum Flat Rock will be launched on Sept 14 2019 at 1:30 PM at the Henderson County Court House 500 Main Street. A talk and a brief slide show follows with refreshments afterward. …"
Aug 23
Phillip Elliott posted photos
Aug 23
Nancy Werking Poling posted an event

Nancy Werking Poling at Black Mountain Library

June 15, 2019 from 3pm to 4pm
Can women rescue the planet from ecological disaster?Nancy Werking Poling will launch her new novel, WHILE EARTH STILL SPEAKS, set in WNC. She'll tell the stories behind the story: How did Mary (more crone than virgin) get into the narrative? And Mary Surratt, a co-conspirator of John Wilkes Booth?See More
Jun 10
Caroline McIntyre posted events
Apr 29
Rob Neufeld updated their profile
Apr 13
Rob Neufeld posted a discussion

Flat Rock history via a road

Travelling back in time on a Flat Rock roadby Rob Neufeld             If you walk the one mile length of North Highland Lake Road in Flat Rock, you step nearly 200 years into the past.            At the east end, the 21st century reigns.  Fronting six-lane Spartanburg Highway, a super-Ingles sits above a bog; and a CVS store faces an Octopus Garden smoke shop, a chiropractor, a cell phone provider, and a six-lane avenue to I-26 a mile away .            Neither Ingles nor CVS carries the big…See More
Apr 8
Write in your reading wishes and likes and get recommendations from a host of book-lovers.

First, answer a question and a request.

One: What kind of book are you looking for? And two: Name two books you’ve loved.

Your response leads to the recommendation of a range of titles, none of which are absolutely perfect matches. (You do not want to be reading the same kind of book over and over.). You note which ones hit the mark; and the recommendations improve.

Here's an example:

A reader of fiction and memoirs says she wants a novel that is simple and easy to follow for her vacation. The River Why by David James Duncan and Frank McCourt’s Angela’s Ashes are two of her favorites. Adriana Trigiana’s Big Stone Gap and other novels with regional settings have also pleased her.

The reader wants something deep or resonant, but not experimental in its narration. The simplicity has to do with a memoir-like, confiding style. Big Stone Gap does not feature that style, and instead indicates a separate wish for novels with regional settings, some genre elements, and smart (not glamorized) characters.

Perhaps Sue Monk Kidd’s The Secret Life of Bees—with its young South Carolina narrator and natural history glosses—or Kaye Gibbons’ darker but more fluid and intimate Ellen Foster would hit the mark. Among memoirs, The Glass Castle, Jeanette Walls’ urban and poignantly sharp account of growing up the child of homeless parents; or Jill Ker Conway’s Road from Coorain, with its path from Australian grassland tragedy to academic excellence might be right.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am looking for novels about spiritual development. I've loved Susan Howatch's The Wonder Worker and Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers
Both favorite novels indicate that you like literary novels with strong characters and spiritual questions, including quite challenging ones. The recommendations that come to mind are "Father Melancholy's Daughter" by Gail Godwin and various novels by Graham Greene. There are others, including books that show spiritual development without religious figures involved. I wonder if "Rachel Carson: Witness for Nature," Linda Lear's biography of the naturalist, might appeal to you. Though not canonically religious, Carson went through an incredible and brave spiritual development.
Want a great summer novel - very long which give the opportunity to get really involved with the characters.

Two of my all time favorites: ...And Ladies of the Club; Mary Chestnut's Civil War
I loved Ladies of the Club also. Can't think of a single book with the same depth about a place but Eugenia price did a series on St Simons Island. They are Lighthouse, New Moon Rising and Beloved Invader.
I've read this series. She also has another book, "Margaret's Story" - not part of the triology, but connected.
Like historical fiction and mysteries with a historical setting. Favorite books: Winds of War and Beloved Invader by Eugenia Price
Here's the latest profile. There's a reader who likes non-fiction; and particularly books about people who have challenged themselves to stretch their potential. Furthermore, he likes his books to be chunky with information--no blab; that is, inspirational and substantial. Two books he cites are: The Man Who Skied Down Everest by Yuichiro Miura; and The New Best Recipe: All-New Edition with 1,000 Recipes by the editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine. The latter book is one of the best cookbook's on the market, with scientific tests and explanations that back up methods and ingredient choices.

What's recommended?

I mentioned Radical Evolution by Joel Jarreau to the reader, and it greatly piqued his interest (which is what got the conversation going). The book tells a great number of amazing true stories about scientific developments that intend to give humans superpowers. As far as biographies are concerned, there's Shackleton by Roland Huntford. It's a big, big book, so it may not do. There are other titles, including ones that focus on the voyage; and of course, the DVD; plus the books that leap off of Shackleton's leadership skills.

This is a start of the list on: Human Potential.

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rob Neufeld.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

UA-124288772-1