WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA BOOKS
(Please feel free to make suggestions)
Written by Rob Neufeld, February 2007, Revised Sept. 2007
(Go back to starter list
Reading audience key: [E] Young children [C] all children [W] children with adult help [M] middle-school students [H] high school students [G] general readers [S] scholars
• The Heritage Books of various counties in WNC.
• Dictionary of Smoky Mountain English by Michael Montgomery and Joseph S. Hall (U. of Tennessee Pr., 2004).
• Guide to North Carolina Highway Historical Markers, tenth ed., ed. By Michael Hill (N.C. Office of Archives and History trade paper, Nov. 2007)
• The North Carolina Atlas: Portrait of a New Century edited by Douglas M. Orr Jr. and Alfred W. Stuart (UNC Press, 2000).
• The North Carolina Gazetteer: A Dictionary of Tar Heel Places by William Powell (UNC Press, 1968) [G]
• Cabins & Castles: The History & Architecture of Buncombe County, North Carolina edited by Douglas Swaim (N.C. Division of Archives and History, 1981). [G,S] Out of print.
• Asheville: A Pictorial History by Mitzi SchadenTessier (1982).
• The State of Buncombe by Mitzi SchadenTessier (Donning Co., 1992).